What do philosophers deal with ?
In his book named “Savaşçı (The Warrior)”, Doğan Cüceloğlu, provides us three main areas of philosophy as “ontology“, “epistomology” and “ethics“. Similarly, Will Durant provides five fields of study for philosophy in “The Story of Philosophy” as:
- Metaphysics (ontology, epistomology and philosophical psychology)
Replace “kings” with “managers” and “ideal state” with “ideal company” then we can deduce that: Ideal company shall have “philosophic managers” who questions and tries to find answers to the following issues:
- What is our strategy? How to organize? – Logic
- How to produce appealing products? – Esthetics
- How do we manage our relationships with our stakeholders? – Ethics question
- How do define formal authority and power in the organization? – Politics
- Why do we exist? What is our mission? – ontological question
- How to we manage knowledge and know-how? – epistomological question
- How do we attract and retain talented personnel – philosophical psychology
Regardless of your managerial level in your company, if you dedicate time beyond your daily routines for thinking the answers for these questions listed above, then you are certainly a “Philosophical-Manager” and is a good candidate for top management in your long career.